Sunday, November 6, 2011

Call Me Scarlett...

You know, I've never really felt as though I had anything at all in common with Scarlett O'Hara. Today I find that that isn't quite true.


I had gone out early to do my grocery shopping. Brett was home with Rachel, and I could shop alone, taking my time, and making sure I got everything we needed.


I was standing in the checkout line, and the cover of the People magazine caught my attention (as they're designed to do), featuring Kim Kardashian's marriage/divorce debacle. The woman in line ahead of me clucked her tongue and said how foolish she thought it was that so much money was spent for nothing. I agreed, and told her what my mother had said about it, that so many people could have been provided with seizure response dogs. I told her that we are currently in the process of raising funds for Rachel's dog.


She finished her checkout, and I was unloading my cart onto the belt, when I felt her hand on my arm. I looked up, and she was holding out a couple of folded bills. It was $6, and she apologized that she didn't have more on her, but wanted me to have it for Rachel's dog.


I was gobsmacked, and immediately teared up, but managed to choke out a thank you, though I forgot to ask her name. We are incredibly thankful for every donation made in Rachel's name, no matter the amount, but somehow the ones that come from strangers have a special impact, and really help me remember how much goodness there really is in people.


So, in relying on the kindness of strangers, I have become a bit like Miss Scarlett, and I'm learning to embrace that part of me. It's a journey for someone who's always been very independent, but getting Rachel what she needs to be independent has to come before my pride.


-Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment