Friday, December 16, 2011

Mea Culpa/Stupid Human Tricks

I screwed up. Big time. As a result, Rachel suffered through two seizures yesterday, and I don't know yet if there will be more today, but of course we are really hoping not.


We have a weekly pill minder, which I fill for Rachel, me being the responsible adult who monitors her meds for her. We have a smallish, plastic tote, which contains all of the many smaller plastic bottles from the pharmacy and the vitamin section of the drug store.


Each week I sit down with the pill minder and the tote, dole out meds and vitamins, and supplements, taking note of which ones need to be refilled soon, etc. I don't know what happened with this week's filling process, but clearly my mind shut off at a critical moment, because I short-filled one of her seizure meds, which caused the blood levels to drop, and caused the seizure activity that we saw.


I am sick to my stomach about this, and have been on alert for more seizures overnight, though Rachel seems to have slept peacefully, and I will be getting her up soon. 


In more than 8 years of handling Rachel's meds, I have never made a mistake like this, and certainly wish it hadn't happened now. Brett has offered to double-check the tray for me each week, and reminded me that Rachel is almost 17 years old, and needs to be more aware of what's she's taking each day. I'm not too worried about that part yet, though it is certainly a skill she'll need to have moving forward.


So, I'm not asking for sympathy, but had to share what happened, in the interest of full disclosure. The drug plan we have in place works pretty well, or had been, except for the occasional break-through partial, which we just can't seem to totally control. I guess it's important to be aware of how close to the edge we are with control over the TCs, and know to avoid that line with more diligence.


-Kelly



No comments:

Post a Comment